Propane is a colourless, odourless gas which belongs to the alkanes. Since propane liquefies at a relatively low pressure, even at normal temperatures, large amounts of energy can be stored in the liquid phase.
Because of the solubility of alkanes in one another, DIN 51622 defines the common technical propane on the market as a mixture of at least 95% propane and the rest a mixture of ethane, ethene, butane and butene.
HD-5 standard is defined as propane with maximum 5% propene / propylene and not more than 5% of butanes and ethane. Hence, 99% propane and 1% propylene can also be labelled as HD-5 propane. The limits are important, because higher amounts of propylene can cause problems in engines. To use the also available HD-10 propane gas for example, a technical approval is required.
Liquefied Petroleum Gas is a mixture of propane and butane. Depending on the region and the time of the year, the ratio may vary from 5% butane to 40% butane.
Through extraction from the liquid phase of the tank and complete evaporation, an increase in concentration of liquid components can be counteracted.
Together with other alkanes like methane, ethane and butane, propane is a part of natural gas.
During the processing of natural gas all hydrocarbons besides methane are filtered to a certain degree. Otherwise, non-methane hydrocarbons could change to the liquid phase and damage the gas pipeline equipment.
Furthermore, natural gas is industrially cleaned from contaminants like CO2 and H2S. Therefore, propane is a high quality product of gas processing – a pure and precious fuel gas.
Why use Propane
- Propane is declared as a high quality gas and therefore the longer service intervals can be expected.
- Commercial Propane contains no contaminants like sulphur, which would harm the engine
- The engine is independent of natural gas pipelines.
- Propane is typically stored in large tanks and can be used to operate the engine independently and remotely from any infrastructure
- Due to the low boiling point large amounts of energy can be transported and stored in liquefied form easily and safe
The MWM range of TCG engines are configured individually for each propane application. Certain values can be adjusted to find an optimal solution to this low methane number gas.