Edina delivers critical standby power installation at Dublin Council Wastewater Treatment facility, whilst maintaining and removing existing power system.
The Ringsend Wastewater Treatment facility, which is the terminal station on the city’s main drainage system is a critical installation for Dublin City Council and is manned 24 hours a day. The facility consists of four fixed speed and two variable speed pumps. The fixed speed pumps have 700 kW motors with rotor resistance starters and the variable speed pumps have 500kw squirrel cage motors.
The electrical supply system is robust with few reported outages however because of the extreme consequences of failure three 1400kVA (3.3kV) standby diesel generators are installed.
In early 2008 Edina were awarded the full turnkey contract for replacement of the entire standby generation system for Dublin City Council in Ringsend.
Edina was appointed as main contractor for a turn-key project to remove the old standby system and design and install a new 6,600kVA standby generator system at 3,300 volts whilst maintaining power and standby power to the site at all times.
This posed an exciting challenge to Edina as the 6 month project entailed substantial civil, low voltage and medium voltage electrical and mechanical works in a critical pumping station.
Power outage for a few minutes could result in serious flooding within Dublin City, major disruption to traffic and catastrophic damage to businesses and property.
Edina engineers firstly installed a 3,600kVA temporary power package with step up transformers and MV switchgear from Edina’s specialist hire fleet to deliver a secondary standby system at 10,000 volts.
Once this was in place and commissioned Edina could progress with the enormous task of removing the existing system. Following approval of the design, Edina proceeded to supply, install and commission replacement generators, high tech master control systems, low voltage and medium voltage switchgear and associated equipment.
The contract also included the replacement of building lighting, and small power within the generator and 10kV plant-room.
Edina’s design offered an unexpected dimension when it was noticed that the new generation plant, albeit much larger in electrical capacity, was significantly smaller in size. By relocating the internal wall of the generator room Edina could recover enough space to build a climate controlled fire-resistant room to house the priceless Lord Mayor’s Coach. The ornate coach, built in 1790 is the pride of Dublin City Council and made its first appearance in 1791 in an annual celebration to mark the birthday of King William III. Since then it has appeared regularly at high profile celebrations in Dublin including the Eucharistic Congress in 1932 and takes pride of place every year for St Patrick’s Day parade.